TRANSPORTATION NOISE ISSUES. IN: HANDBOOK OF TRANSPORTATION ENGINEERING
This chapter describes how noise is a serious issue that should be considered in all stages of transportation system projects, from original design and construction to modifications. Transportation-related noise affects millions of people and, in many cases, requires local, state, and federal governments to provide noise abutment to help improve or restore their quality of life. The impact of noise on the quality of life can be substantial, especially with expanding transportation systems. This is why there is an increasing need for noise control, and why the field of transportation-related noise is booming. There are three modes of transportation where noise issues are typically addressed: (1) highway traffic; (2) aircraft; and (3) rail. Although less common, other transportation-related noise concerns can also warrant noise control or at least consideration and these include: (1) construction noise; (2) noise inside vehicles; (3) recreational vehicle noise; and (4) underwater noise. This chapter provides an overview of noise issues, followed by discussions of the specific issues relating to different modes of transportation, including noise sources, noise prediction, noise metrics, noise control, and relevant resources.
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/isbn/0071391223
McGraw-Hill, Incorporated330 West 42nd Street
New York, NY United States 10036
- Rochat, J L
- Publication Date: 2004
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 18 p.
- TRT Terms: Aircraft; Highway traffic; Noise barriers; Noise control; Noise sources; Public transit; Rail (Railroads); Recreational vehicles; Traffic noise; Transportation engineering; Underwater structures
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Bridges and other structures; Environment; Highways; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment; I72: Traffic and Transport Planning;
- Accession Number: 00988757
- Record Type: Publication
- ISBN: 0071391223
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 27 2005 12:00AM