PROTECTING BANK NETWORKS FROM ACTS OF COMPUTER TERRORISM. IN: TERRORISM. REDUCING VULNERABILITIES AND IMPROVING RESPONSES. U.S.-RUSSIAN WORKSHOP PROCEEDINGS.
Russian banks are highly automated and are developing their networks and their presence on the Internet. This progress is accompanied by an increase in security problems, notably that of cyberterrorism and cybercrime. This chapter on protecting Russian bank networks from acts of computer terrorism is from a book that gathers papers and proceedings from workshops held between 2001 and 2003 of meetings of the Russian Academy of Sciences (RAS) and the National Academies of Science (NAS, United States), focusing on reducing vulnerabilities and improving responses to terrorism. In this chapter, the author describes these new crimes and offers suggestions for protecting bank networks. The author describes the foundation of the Global Association of Risk Professionals (GARP), and the Russian branch of this organization, which helps with risk identification and assessment. The author also reports on the new Russian Law on Technical Regulation, which speaks to necessary requirements for radiation, biological, explosives, mechanical, fire, industrial, thermal, chemical, and electrical security. The author discusses the problem of denial of service (DoS) attacks, the concept of ownership of information resources, the protection of information in automated banking systems, and the assessment of security requirements. The author concludes by calling for requirements for commercial or banking sector security, focusing on the special aspects involved in ensuring the security of commercial information that does not involve state secrecy.
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/isbn/0309089719
- Committee on Counterterrorism Challenges for Russia and the United States. Office for Central Europe and Eurasia Development, Security, and Cooperation, Policy and Global Affairs. In cooperation with the Russian Academy of Sciences.
National Research Council500 Fifth Street, NW
Washington, DC United States 20001
- Skorodumov, B I
- Publication Date: 2004
- Features: Figures;
- Pagination: p. 104-111
- Publication of: National Research Council
- Publisher: National Research Council
- TRT Terms: Banking industry; Computer networks; Computer security; Control systems; Countermeasures; Detection and identification; Disasters and emergency operations; Education and training; National security; Policy, legislation and regulation; Prevention; Risk management; Terrorism; Threats
- Uncontrolled Terms: Cyberterrorism
- Geographic Terms: Russia (Federation)
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Education and Training; Highways; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies; I10: Economics and Administration;
- Accession Number: 00987439
- Record Type: Publication
- ISBN: 0309089719
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 7 2005 12:00AM