CYBERCRIME AND CYBERTERRORISM. IN: TERRORISM. REDUCING VULNERABILITIES AND IMPROVING RESPONSES. U.S.-RUSSIAN WORKSHOP PROCEEDINGS.
The development of information and network technologies has led to the appearance of cybercrime. This chapter on cybercrime and cyberterrorism is from a book that gathers papers and proceedings from workshops held between 2001 and 2003 of meetings of the Russian Academy of Sciences (RAS) and the National Academies of Science (NAS, United States), focusing on reducing vulnerabilities and improving responses to terrorism. In this chapter, the author defines the category of cybercrime to include unauthorized access to computer information; the creation, use, and distribution of malicious computer programs; disruption of the normal operations of computers or information networks; illegal seizure of information resources; illegal sale and distribution of special-purpose radioelectronic devices; forgery of documents; and financial maneuvers over the Internet. The author outlines a series of cybercrimes that happened in the late 1990s and early 2000s, noting that its incidence is growing and intensifying. The author concludes with a discussion of cyberterrorism, in which cybercrimes are planned and committed with the aim of violating public security, frightening the population, or pressuring the authorities to act in a particular way. The author calls for a heightened level of international cooperation for scientific research on preventing and suppressing acts of cyberterrorism.
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/isbn/0309089719
- Committee on Counterterrorism Challenges for Russia and the United States. Office for Central Europe and Eurasia Development, Security, and Cooperation, Policy and Global Affairs. In cooperation with the Russian Academy of Sciences.
National Research Council500 Fifth Street, NW
Washington, DC United States 20001
- Sychev, M P
- Publication Date: 2004
- Features: Figures;
- Pagination: p. 97-103
- Publication of: National Research Council
- Publisher: National Research Council
- TRT Terms: Computer networks; Computer security; Control systems; Countermeasures; Detection and identification; Disasters and emergency operations; Education and training; National security; Policy, legislation and regulation; Prevention; Risk management; Terrorism; Threats
- Uncontrolled Terms: Cyberterrorism
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Education and Training; Highways; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies; I10: Economics and Administration;
- Accession Number: 00987438
- Record Type: Publication
- ISBN: 0309089719
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 7 2005 12:00AM