PUBLIC TRANSPORT & BANKING
Mass transit ticketing is a killer smart card application creating transaction volume but smart card infrastructure is expensive, so cooperation with other sectors, such as governments and banks, can create synergy and cost savings. Banks are interested to process more purse volume, to add value to their cards, to differentiate themselves from competitors and to share expensive card acceptance infrastructure. Banks offer infrastructure, distribution channels and the very important link with necessary funding to transport operators. The formerly existing technology gap between contactless/fast/low cost and contact/security is closed with the new components, of which the prices will go down with volumes. Also on software level (Proton PRISMA multi-app platform, card and domain management) the technology is ready for cross-sector smart card cooperation. Transit and banking are two fundamentally different sectors. Banks and transport operators have diverging objectives and serious differences in geographical or demographical market coverage. ERG Group puts everything in place to understand perfectly these business issues. Operational Joint Ventures are strong environments to overcome business gaps and to make win-win partnerships, based on a strong customer proposition. Card base segmentation will be a key element, for both transport operators and banks. For the covering abstract see ITRD E125043.
Brussels, Belgium BE-1080
- STROO, P
- Publication Date: 2002
- Pagination: 6 p.
- PROCEEDINGS OF 6TH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON AUTOMATIC FARE COLLECTION - NEW HORIZONS IN PUBLIC TRANSPORT WITH SMART CARDS HELD FEBRUARY 2002, BOLOGNA, ITALY
- Publisher: International Association of Public Transport (UITP)
- TRT Terms: Conferences; Economic efficiency; Financing; Intelligent transportation systems; Partnerships; Payment; Smart cards; Technology
- ITRD Terms: 8525: Conference; 237: Economic efficiency; 244: Financing; 8735: Intelligent transport system; 219: Partnership; 272: Payment; 290: Smart card; 3855: Technology
- Subject Areas: Economics; Finance; Operations and Traffic Management;
- Accession Number: 00988509
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transport Research Laboratory
- Files: ITRD
- Created Date: Apr 4 2005 12:00AM