A SENSITIVITY ANALYSIS OF RIGID PAVEMENT OVERLAY DESIGN PROCEDURE
Presently there are no overlay design procedures or criteria for determining the structural value of existing pavement and its remaining life and for evaluating how the layers will function in an overlaid pavement. Furthermore, none considers fatigue, a primary failure mode or mechanism. Recently, Austin Research Engineers, Inc., under a Federal Highway Administration contract, developed a design procedure using elastic layered theory in an analytical model for overlays of rigid pavements which takes these factors into account. The procedure includes a computer program, RPOD1, which performs various aspects of the analysis required for the design. Depending on the type of existing surface conditions, void, bond, and materials used in the overlays, 22 combinations of pavements and overlays are possible. RPOD1 involves nearly 17 independent variables and the final response is the overlay thickness suitable for the projected traffic. This report describes a sensitivity analysis to establish the relative importance of the independent variables to the response, i.e., the required thickness. For the analysis, the standard deviation is selected as a basis of sensitivity to facilitate interpretation of the final results. Based on the study of the sensitivity, it is recommended that the method be adapted for use in the Texas State Department of Highways and Public Transportation.
- Prepared in cooperation with Texas State Dept. of Highways and Public Transportation, Austin. Transportation Planning Div.
University of Texas, AustinCenter for Highway Research, 200 West 21st Street
Austin, TX United States 78712
Texas State Department of Highways & Public TransportationTransportation Planning Division, P.O. Box 5051
Austin, TX United States 78763
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Nayak, B C
- Hudson, W R
- McCullough, B F
- Publication Date: 1977-6
- Pagination: 148 p.
- TRT Terms: Analysis; Computer programs; Concrete pavements; Elasticity (Mechanics); Factor analysis; Maintenance; Mathematical models; Overlays (Pavements); Pavement design; Rigid pavements; Sensitivity; Standard deviation; Thickness
- Old TRIS Terms: Covering; Elastic theory
- Subject Areas: Highways; Maintenance and Preservation; Pavements;
- Accession Number: 00181429
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-TX-RR-177-11, CFHR-3-8-75-177-11, Interim Report
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Oct 12 2002 12:00AM