EXEMPLARY PROGRAMS INVOLVING THE USE OF SCHOOL BUSES
The operation of safe pupil transportation programs is the subject of the present investigation. The objective of this project was to identify and describe in a report exemplary activities involving the use of school buses. This final report is the result of an in-depth field study of pupil transportation safety programs in twelve (12) jurisdictions. The report includes forty-three (43) detailed descriptions of exemplary activities involving the use of school buses. The exemplary nature of an activity is based on the criteria of safety/efficiency, innovation and replicability. Exemplary activities which enhance the character and quality of pupil transportation safety programs appear in ten categories: driver training, field trips, pupil instruction, special education, public relations, maintenance, record-keeping, community services, safety techniques and administration. This report is a resource for current information on pupil transportation safety programs and the innovative use of school buses, and will be useful to state and local administrators of pupil transportation departments across the country. As a resource, the report will encourage states and communities to improve in all areas attendant to the operation of a safe pupil transportation program.
Johnson (Lawrence) and Associates, Incorporated4545 42nd Street NW, Suite 103
Washington, DC United States 20016
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Miller, J P
- Publication Date: 1978-2
- Pagination: 145 p.
- TRT Terms: Buses; Children; Drivers; Field studies; Highway transportation; Local government; Maintenance; Prevention; Programming (Planning); Public relations; Safety; School buses; School children; Specialized training; Students; Traffic safety; Transportation policy
- Uncontrolled Terms: Child safety
- Subject Areas: Education and Training; Highways; Maintenance and Preservation; Policy; Public Transportation; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies;
- Accession Number: 00181398
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-HS-803-383 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-7-01618
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 12 1981 12:00AM