A REFLECTANCE MEASURING SYSTEM FOR FIELD USE
A portable reflectance measuring system suitable for in situ measurement of road signs, pavement markers and road stripes has been constructed. The reflectometer has adequate sensitivity to allow measurements of road stripes at grazing incidence and to permit measurements to be made from off-the-road locations, thus avoiding obstructing traffic or exposing the operating personnel to unnecessary hazards. The use of phase-lock detection techniques to eliminate background radiation allows measurements to be made on a sun-lit target. The instrument's spectral response simulates the human photopic response when viewing under a 2856K (CIE standard source A) lamp as required by federal specification LS-300A.
- Sponsored in part by Alabama State Highway Dept., Montgomery.
University of Alabama, UniversityBureau of Engineering Research
University, AL USA 35486
Washington, DC USA 20590
Montgomery, AL USA 36130
- WEBB, W E
- Dudgeon, J E
- Publication Date: 1977-4
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 63 p.
- TRT Terms: Coatings; Field tests; Hazards; Highway traffic control; Measurement; Optical instruments; Optical measurement; Reflectivity; Reflectometers; Road markings; Striping; Traffic control; Traffic signs
- Uncontrolled Terms: Reflectance
- Old TRIS Terms: Markers; Optical reflectometers; Phase detectors; Reflective coatings; Traffic marking
- Subject Areas: Geotechnology; Highways; Materials; Operations and Traffic Management;
- Accession Number: 00181385
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: HPR-82 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: 930-76
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Oct 12 1979 12:00AM