OPTIMIZATION OF TRAFFIC SIGNAL SETTINGS IN NETWORKS BY MIXED-INTEGER LINEAR PROGRAMMING; THE MITROP COMPUTER PROGRAM
This report describes a new computer method, MITROP (Mixed-Integer Traffic Optimization Program), for optimizing traffic signal settings in an urban network. All the signal control variables in the network (including offsets, splits of green time, and cycle time) can be simultaneously optimized by this method. The traffic flow pattern is modeled as a periodic platoon, consisting of both primary and secondary flows, and a link performance function is derived expressing the deterministic component of the delay incurred by these platoons at the traffic lights. Stochastic effects are accounted for by a saturation deterrence function representing the expected overflow queue on each link. The integer loop variables, reflecting the periodicity of the traffic lights, are treated explicitly. The method is based on mixed-integer linear programming, thus enabling the application of a rigorous optimization technique.
- Prepared by KLD Associates, Inc., Huntington, N.Y. See also AD-779 446.
Massachusetts Institute of TechnologySloan School of Management, Operations Research Center
Cambridge, MA USA 02139
KLD Associates, Incorporated47 Mall Drive, Suite 8
Commack, NY USA 11725-5717
Washington, DC USA 20590
- GARTNER, N
- Little, JDC
- Gabbay, H
- Publication Date: 1974-3
- Pagination: 160 p.
- TRT Terms: Automatic control; City planning; Computer programs; Highway traffic control; Integer programming; Linear programming; Mathematical models; Network analysis (Planning); Optimization; Scheduling; Stochastic processes; Traffic control; Traffic flow; Traffic signal timing; Traffic signals; Transportation; Travel patterns; Urban areas
- Identifier Terms: FORTRAN (Computer program language)
- Uncontrolled Terms: Network flows; Traffic patterns; Transportation models
- Subject Areas: Operations and Traffic Management; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00181384
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-ORC-TR-91 Final Rpt., ORC-TR-91
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FH-11-7924
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 12 1979 12:00AM