ATLANTA CENTER UPGRADED THIRD GENERATION ENROUTE ATC SYSTEM OPERATIONS: A CASE STUDY
This report documents the work performed to assess the impact of Upgraded Third Generation Enroute Air Traffic Control (ATC) System alternatives on control facility operations. The various enhancement features are considered to be added incrementally to the current National Airspace System (NAS) Stage A enroute ATC operation and include: automatic data handling, enroute metering, automated local flow control, conflict probe, area navigation, Discrete Address Beacon System (DABS) data link, and DABS-based intermittent positive control. Staffing estimates for each enhancement system are made for the Atlantic Air Route Traffic Control Center for the years 1980 through 2000, and include Air Traffic Service and Airway Facilities Service personnel. The estimation procedure uses models previously developed by SRI based on extensive observations of ATC operations. These models include the Relative Capacity Estimating Process (RECEP), which relates ATC sector controller workload requirements to traffic capacities, and the Air Traffic Flow (ATF) network simulation model, with assesses traffic capacity and delay in a multisector environment.
Stanford Research Institute333 Ravenswood Avenue
Menlo Park, CA USA 94025
- COULURIS, G J
- Johnson, J M
- Procter, H S
- Publication Date: 1977-3
- Pagination: 157 p.
- TRT Terms: Air route traffic control centers; Air traffic control; Air traffic control facilities; Air traffic controllers; Airport control towers; Airspace (Aeronautics); Airspace (Law); Collision avoidance systems; Data communications; Data processing; Enroute traffic control; Flight paths; Highway capacity; Highway operations; International airports; Mode S; Modernization; Personnel performance; Scheduling; Simulation; Systems analysis; Traffic flow
- Uncontrolled Terms: Data links; Modifications
- Old TRIS Terms: Air traffic control terminal; Enroute traffic control system; Performance human; Relative capacity estimating process; Upgraded third generation
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00181318
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FAA-AVP-77-22 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FA75WA-3714
- Files: NTIS, TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 27 1979 12:00AM