THE ROLE OF PARKING IN WORKPLACE AND SCHOOL TRAVEL PLANNING
This paper discusses UK government strategy to promote workplace and school travel planning. Workplace travel plans have become more widespread in the last five years. The Department for Transport has provided funding for local authority planning co-ordinators and published a best practice programme and newsletter. The government has also introduced tax incentives for employers. Previous research on travel plans is briefly detailed. A major feature of workplace travel planning is parking management to motivate travel plan use. Local authorities can introduce road user and workplace parking charges. School travel plans help to avoid the congestion caused by the school run. Parking provision also plays a part in improving safety and reducing congestion. Cycling is promoted as a feature of both concepts.
Department for Transport, EnglandGreat Minster House, 76 Marsham Street
London, England SW1P 4DR
- WILKINSON, J
- Publication Date: 2004
- Pagination: 9 p.
- TRT Terms: Federal government; Parking; Planning; Policy; School trips; Work trips
- Geographic Terms: United Kingdom
- ITRD Terms: 183: Government (national); 622: Journey to school; 621: Journey to work; 955: Parking; 143: Planning; 173: Policy; 8119: United Kingdom
- Subject Areas: Planning and Forecasting; Policy;
- Accession Number: 00988559
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transport Research Laboratory
- Files: ITRD
- Created Date: Apr 4 2005 12:00AM