A STUDY OF OCEAN RATE DISPARITIES
This report documents research conducted into the role of ocean freight rates and specifically ocean liner rate disparities on the level of U.S. exports. The term disparity means that the liner freight rate for a commodity moving in one direction of a trade is higher or lower than that for a similar commodity moving in the other direction of the same trade. It is also used to describe the differential that exists between liner rates for U.S. exports and those from competing countries to common markets. Specifically, the report documents the magnitude of liner disparities in both the U.S. trades and trades between the U.S. and alternative sources and common importers. It identifies possible causes for these disparities and quantifies the effect that they may have both on U.S. export levels and the U.S. balance of trade.
- See also A Study of Ocean Rate Disparities: Appendices; PB-283446/3ST, available from NTIS.
Booz-Allen and Hamilton, Incorporated4330 East-West Highway
Bethesda, MD United States 20814
Department of TransportationAssistant Secretary for Policy and International Affairs, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC United States 20590
- DONOVAN, L J
- Publication Date: 1978-6
- Pagination: 113 p.
- TRT Terms: Alternatives analysis; Analysis; Cargo ships; Commodities; Costs; Economic analysis; Economics; Exports; Freight traffic; Freight transportation; Imports; Liner shipping; Market value; Oceans; Operations; Rates; Statistics; Tariffs; Trade; Trade routes; Water transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Cost analysis; Freight rates
- Old TRIS Terms: Cargo transportation; Commodity statistics; Rates costs
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Data and Information Technology; Economics; Finance; Freight Transportation; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00180903
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT/P-78/002 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-1124
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Sep 14 1978 12:00AM