STORAGE, RETRIEVAL AND STATISTICAL ANALYSIS OF INDIANA SHALE DATA
This report gives a complete summary of the test data on shales generated by ISHC and Purdue University. Details are given for a very simple storage and retrieval system which is adequate for the small amount of data (163 sets) available at the present time. Results are presented from the different statistical analyses that were performed. These results include histograms, bivariate correlation coefficients and regression equations. Reasonably good bivariate correlations exist between the different indices describing the slaking resistance of shales. These correlations are however improved by using quadratic equations. Various regression equations are proposed for determining CBR from various parameters, usually a combination of five. It became clear during the investigation that it is important to have as many complete data sets as possible for future analyses. The standardization of testing methods is also of utmost importance in order to increase the potential of the data bank.
- Prepared in cooperation with Federal Highway Administration, Indianapolis, Ind. Indiana Div.
Purdue University/Indiana Department of Transportation JHRPPurdue University, School of Civil Engineering
West Lafayette, IN United States 47907-1284
Washington, DC United States 20590
Indiana State Highway CommissionIndianapolis, IN United States 46204
- Van Zyl, DJA
- Publication Date: 1977-7
- Pagination: 154 p.
- TRT Terms: Classification; Coefficients; Correlation analysis; Equations; Field tests; Geology; Histograms; Information processing; Information retrieval; Information systems; Laboratory tests; Management; Planning; Regression analysis; Rock mechanics; Rocks; Shale; Slaking; Statistical analysis; Tests
- Uncontrolled Terms: Bivariate analysis
- Geographic Terms: Indiana
- Old TRIS Terms: Management planning; Resistance; Rock tests; Test results
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Data and Information Technology; Geotechnology; Highways; Planning and Forecasting;
- Accession Number: 00180879
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-IND-78-JHRP7711Intrm Rpt., JHRP-77-11
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Sep 14 1978 12:00AM