STUDY OF TRAFFIC FLOW ON A RESTRICTED FACILITY. REPORT III-1. VEHICULAR PLATOON PARAMETERS: A METHODOLOGY FOR TRAFFIC CONTROL
The Baltimore Harbor Tunnel is a restricted facility since the demand often exceeds the Tunnel's capacity. As a result, long vehicular platoons tend to form. This study developed a technique utilizing vehicular platoon parameters for the evaluation of the several control alternatives. Data collected at the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel were used to identify platoons of two or more vehicles utilizing a 200-foot (60.9 m) minimum space headway criterion. The data were also used to determine the number and size of the platoons, the platoon concentrations, the platoon velocities, the average space headways within the platoons, and the number of vehicles within the platoons. Utilizing Greenberg's model of hydrodynamic traffic flow, the platoon concentration and platoon velocity relationship was examined for all the control alternatives. From this relationship, an optimal control policy was developed and an application to on-line computer control was proposed.
- Sponsored in part by Maryland State Highway Administration, Brooklandville. Bureau of Research. See also report on Phase 2, PB-260 730 and PB-282 513.
University of Maryland, College ParkTransportation Studies Center, Department of Civil Engineering
College Park, MD USA 20742
Washington, DC USA 20590
Brooklandville, MD USA 21022
- RODRIGUEZ, J L
- Loutzenheiser, R C
- Publication Date: 1976-6
- Pagination: 68 p.
- TRT Terms: Freeways; Highway traffic; Information processing; Markov processes; Mathematical models; Optimization; Traffic control; Traffic engineering; Traffic flow; Traffic surveys; Tunnels; Vehicular tunnels
- Geographic Terms: Maryland
- Old TRIS Terms: Vehicular traffic
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management;
- Accession Number: 00180866
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-MD-R-77/6 Intrm Rpt., TSC-0018
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Sep 14 1978 12:00AM