AIR QUALITY IMPACTS OF TRANSIT IMPROVEMENT, PREFERENTIAL LANE, AND CARPOOL/VANPOOL PROGRAMS
The report has been prepared in accordance with Section 108(f) of the Clean Air Act, as amended, August 1977. It is intended to assist urban areas in developing State Implementation Plans and integrating their transportation system management and air quality planning programs as required by FHWA, UMTA, and EPA. The report analyzes the air quality, travel, energy consumption, economic, and cost impacts of three types of transportation programs: priority treatment for high occupancy vehicles on freeways and arterials; areawide carpool and vanpool programs; and transit fare reductions and service improvements. Important factors (e.g., meteorological conditions, traffic volumes and speeds and changes in modal choice) likely to influence air quality and emissions for the above programs are also analyzed.
- Prepared in cooperation with Engineering-Science, Inc., McLean, Va. Sponsored in part by Department of Transportation, Washington, D.C. See also PB-282.347.
Peat, Marwick, Mitchell and Company1025 Connecticut Avenue, NW
Washington, DC United States 20036
Engineering-Science, Incorporated7903 Westpark Drive
McLean, VA United States 22102
Environmental Protection AgencyOffice of Transportation & Land Use Policy, 401 M Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20460
Department of Transportation1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC United States 20590
- DiRenzo, J F
- Rubin, R B
- Publication Date: 1978-3
- Pagination: 125 p.
- TRT Terms: Air pollution; Carpools; Coordination; Cost effectiveness; Economic impacts; Energy conservation; Environmental impacts; Exhaust gases; Freeways; Fuel consumption; Highway traffic; Level of service; Meteorology; Planning; Public transit; Strategic planning; Traffic volume; Transportation operations; Travel; Urban areas; Urban transportation; Vanpools
- Uncontrolled Terms: Services; Transportation management
- Old TRIS Terms: Vehicular traffic
- Subject Areas: Economics; Energy; Environment; Geotechnology; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00180809
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: EPA-400-2-78-002A Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: EPA-68-01-3912
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Sep 14 1981 12:00AM