SAFETY BELT USAGE: SURVEY OF THE TRAFFIC POPULATION
The objectives of the study were to assess safety belt usage in cars manufactured between 1964 and 1977 and to examine usage as a function of type of car, driver characteristics, and driving environment. A survey of passenger cars in 16 cities was conducted across an 8-month period by observing safety belt usage by drivers as they stopped for traffic signals at primary road intersections and freeway exits. A supplementary survey was conducted at O'Hare airport rental car check-ins to compare usage of single versus dual retractor safety belts. Overall safety belt usage was found to be 18.5%, with usage of the lap-shoulder combination belt system significantly higher than that of the lap-shoulder separate or lap-belt only systems. In terms of model year, usage was highest for 1974 cars. Usage in terms of car style was higher for smaller than larger cars. This finding paralleled a differential usage by car manufacturer in terms of the size of cars these manufacturers produced. Other findings were that usage was higher on the West Coast than on the East Coast, higher at freeway exits than at primary road intersections, and higher during rush hours than during other times of the day.
Kirschner Associates Incorporated733 15th Street, NW
Washington, DC USA 20005
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Stowell, C
- Bryant, J
- Publication Date: 1978-1
- Pagination: 84 p.
- TRT Terms: Automobiles; Automobiles by type; Compact automobiles; Drivers; Highways; Human characteristics; Manual safety belts; Manufacturing; Safety and security; Statistical analysis; Surveys; Transportation safety; Urban areas; Utilization
- Uncontrolled Terms: Driver characteristics; Vehicle make
- Old TRIS Terms: Small car
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Highways; Research; Safety and Human Factors; Society;
- Accession Number: 00180787
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transportation Statistical Reference File, TSC
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-HS-803-354 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-6-01340
- Files: NTIS, TSR, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Sep 14 1978 12:00AM