ASSESSMENT OF THE SATELLITE TRANSIT SYSTEM (STS) AT THE SEATTLE-TACOMA INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT
The report describes and assesses the Satellite Transit System (STS), an exclusively underground AGT system of the shuttle loop transit class used for passenger transport at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport. The information and data presented were collected through surveys of technical literature; formal site visits; interviews with operators, management, and engineering personnel; and a visit to the system manufacturer (Westinghouse). The report contains seven major sections and a comprehensive information checklist attached as an appendix: (1) Executive Summary; (2) Background Information; (3) Technical Description; (4) System Operational and Performance Assessment; (5) System Economics; (6) System Development Process; and (7) Concluding Remarks. The report concludes that the STS system has had no major problems in its four-year operating history, and it is in a position to further expand its final design capacity.
- See also related reports, PB-261339, PB-278521, and PB-277184.
SRI International333 Ravenswood Avenue
Menlo Park, CA United States 94025-3493
Urban Mass Transportation AdministrationOffice of Tech Development & Deployment, 400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Yen, A M
- Henderson, C
- Sakasita, M
- Roddin, M
- Cronin, R
- Publication Date: 1977-12
- Pagination: 133 p.
- TRT Terms: Airports; Automated guideway transit; Automated vehicle control; Data collection; Economics; Intra airport transit; Passenger service; Passenger transportation; Underground structures
- Identifier Terms: Seattle-Tacoma International Airport
- Geographic Terms: Seattle (Washington)
- Old TRIS Terms: Automated transit system; Satellite transit system; Underground
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Bridges and other structures; Economics; Passenger Transportation; Railroads; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00180776
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-IT-06-0135-77-1Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-UT-70034
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Sep 14 1978 12:00AM