DOMESTIC AND INTERNATIONAL TRANSPORTATION OF U.S. FOREIGN TRADE: 1976. PART A-EXPORTS. PART B-IMPORTS (ANALYSIS)
This report contains results of the 1976 Survey of Domestic and International Transportation of U.S. Foreign Trade, an origin/destination study of the movement of foreign trade within the United States. The results are available on a public-use tape, and appear also in this 2-volume final report. The purpose of this survey was to collect data for 1976 similar to, but more comprehensive than, those collected during the 1970 survey on movements of exports and imports within the United States. The information collected includes the U.S. interior origin of exports and destination of imports; the domestic mode of transportation between significant points; the commodity weight, value, and volume; the international and domestic shipping costs; the use of containerization and other handling characteristics; and terms of sale (c.i.f., etc.). The new data were linked to data already available on the international movement of commodities through ports within the 48 contiguous states as collected from documents filed with the U.S. Customs Service. This information will be useful to shippers, carriers, port authorities, researchers, and government agencies at all levels in areas such as cargo forecasting, market analysis, and facilities planning; in analysis of trade patterns, port hinterlands, modal distribution, and modal interface at ports; and in studying the impact of foreign trade on the domestic transportation system and state and local economics. The scope of the 1976 survey was expanded over the 1970 survey to include previously excluded bulk commodities and to collect information on U.S. foreign trade commodities transshipped to and from third countries by rail and truck via Canada and Mexico.
- The study is sponsored by the Department of Transportation, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, and the Maritime Administration.
Bureau of the CensusGeneral Federal Office Building
Suitland, MD United States 20233
- Publication Date: 1978-7
- Pagination: 55 p.
- TRT Terms: Bulk cargo; Commodities; Competition; Containerization; Data collection; Economics; Exports; Forecasting; Freight traffic; Imports; Intermodal transportation; International trade; Origin and destination; Reports; Shipping; Statistics; Surveys; Traffic forecasting; Transportation modes; Water; Water transportation
- Old TRIS Terms: Bulk cargo statistics; Bulk traffic; Commodity statistics; Domestic shipping analysis; Shipping economics; Survey reports
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Economics; Education and Training; Freight Transportation; Marine Transportation; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00180409
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transportation Statistical Reference File, TSC
- Report/Paper Numbers: One-Time
- Files: TSR, TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 27 1978 12:00AM