SPEED OF TRAINS THROUGH TURNOUTS
This report discusses testing by the AAR to determine standard turnouts which would give maximum comfort at maximum speed. Field tests used #24 frogs with 39 ft. switch points at 50 mph and #20 frogs with 30 ft. swtich points at 40 mph. It was concluded that the frog/switch speed combination gave the maximum lateral accelerations expected in high speed running.
Chicago, IL United States 60605
- Publication Date: 1961-8
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 14 p.
- TRT Terms: Dynamics; Frogs (Railroads); Hunting (Dynamics); Point demerit systems; Ride quality; Technology; Trucks; Turnouts; Vehicle dynamics; Velocity
- Uncontrolled Terms: Lateral dynamics; Switches; Vertical dynamics
- Geographic Terms: United States
- Old TRIS Terms: Points
- Subject Areas: Motor Carriers; Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00040000
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: AAR-ER-14
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 8 1994 12:00AM