REPORT ON THE CHARACTERISTICS OF STEELS AT LOW TEMPERATURES--COUPLER INVESTIGATION
The report discusses problems in finding a basis for coupler failures between geographic areas. The parameter for comparison was the number of failures per freight car miles travelled. Conclusions are that more couplers fail during cold than hot months. The critical temperature for failure occurs a few degrees below freezing.
Chicago, IL USA 60605
- Publication Date: 1945-11
- Features: Figures;
- Pagination: 4 p.
- TRT Terms: Couplers; Design; Freight cars; Freight trains; Mechanical failure; Railroad cars; Railroad trains; Technology; Temperature
- Geographic Terms: United States
- Subject Areas: Design; Freight Transportation; Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00039997
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: AAR-M-190 Tech Rpt
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 8 1994 12:00AM