THE HOT BOX PROBLEM IN ITS RELATION TO BEARING METALS
The relationship between overheated journals in "hot boxes" is discussed as related to metals used as bearing metals. Although overheating is caused by the loss of oil film between the bearing and journal, the reasons for some bearings to overheat are not known. This article discusses the need to either determine new metals for bearings or reduce the temperature of journals to avoid the problem.
Chicago, IL United States 60605
- Publication Date: 1952-4
- Pagination: 10 p.
- TRT Terms: Bearings; Journal boxes; Lubrication; Taking (Property); Technology
- Geographic Terms: United States
- Old TRIS Terms: Hot boxes; Seizing
- Subject Areas: Maintenance and Preservation; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00039994
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: AAR-MR-124 Tech Rpt
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 8 1994 12:00AM