A STUDY OF FLYWHEEL ENERGY STORAGE FOR URBAN TRANSIT VEHICLES, PHASE I
This report documents the Phase I results of a program--Study of Flywheel Energy Storage--investigating the use of flywheel storage as applied to fixed-route, multistop, rubber-tired, urban transit vehicles. This program, established by the Urban Mass Transportation Administration in 1976, has an ultimate objective of hastening the changeover to electric propulsion from today's petroleum-powered transit vehicles. The objective of Phase I was to evaluate the application of flywheel energy storage to a broad spectrum of electrically powered urban transit vehicles and to identify the systems which could meet the established mission requirements. This document is the final report for Phase I of this flywheel storage program, and it summarizes the results of each of the six tasks of Phase I: Requirements Study; System Concept Study; Supporting Engineering Design and Analysis; Life-Cycle Cost; Development Plan for Phase II; and Technological Advancements. Charts, tables, major conclusions and recommendations are provided. The Appendixes (A-L) chart out such items as system requirements; flywheel/motor energy storage packages; life-cycle cost analysis, methodology, and worksheets; modularity in design; and a list of references. This report concludes that flywheel energy storage is a promising technique for reducing dependence upon petroleum fuels by urban transit buses as well as offering environmental improvement potentials to transit operators. The study recommends that a hardware development program be initiated for propulsions systems appliable to urban vehicles. /FHWA/
General Electric Corporate Research & DevelopmentSchenectady, NY United States
- Publication Date: 1977-9
- Pagination: 210 p.
- TRT Terms: Analysis; Buses; Costs; Design; Electric vehicles; Energy; Energy storage systems; Flywheels; Life cycle analysis; Propulsion; Urban transportation; Vehicle power plants
- Uncontrolled Terms: Cost analysis; Propulsion systems
- Subject Areas: Design; Energy; Finance; Highways; Public Transportation; Railroads; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00179870
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Urban Mass Transportation Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-NY-06-0062-77-1Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-UT-60096T
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 12 1981 12:00AM