CARBON MONOXIDE EMISSIONS FROM MOVING VEHICLES IN FAIRBANKS, ALASKA
This report is the third and final volume in a series constituting the final report on a research project which has investigated carbon monoxide (CO) emissions from motor vehicles in Fairbanks, Alaska. This volume (Vol. 3) presents the findings of that part of the study dealing with vehicles operating in the moving mode. Two investigations were performed. In the first, driving cycles were developed which are representative of actual driving conditions in the urban area of Fairbanks. Development of two cycles was necessary to demonstrate the effect of traffic control strategies implemented during the summer of 1975. Therefore, the cycles presented here describe traffic conditions both before and after implementation of the new controls, with accompanying qualitative discussion of the effect on CO emissions. In an effort to retain consistency and ease comparison, the cycles developed here were modeled after the CVS-3 cycles used in the Federal Test Procedure. In the other investigation, CO emissions from in-use vehicles operating in the moving mode were measured in order to provide quantitative modal emission data for use in conjunction with the driving cycles. Quantitative emissions data for the steady-state mode of operation are presented; however, limitation in the response time of the CO analyzer used in testing precluded acquisition of reliable data for the transient (Acceleration and Deceleration) mode of operation. /FHWA/
- Sponsored by State of Alaska Department of Highways.
University of Alaska, CollegeGeophysical Institute
College, AK United States 99701
- Leonard, I F
- Publication Date: 1977-8
- Pagination: 44 p.
- TRT Terms: Carbon monoxide; Motion; Motor vehicles; Pollutants; Quantitative analysis; Traffic control; Traffic signal cycle; Urban areas
- Uncontrolled Terms: Moving vehicles; Quantifying
- Old TRIS Terms: Traffic control systems
- Subject Areas: Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00179851
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: AK-RD-77-3 Final Rpt.
- Files: NTIS, TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 12 1978 12:00AM