CAVITATION SCALE EFFECTS--A CASE STUDY
Observations of cavitation on a ducted propeller of a VLCC showed abnormal discrepancies with the cavitation pattern, observed on model scale in comparable conditions. To establish the cause of these discrepancies variations of propeller loading, model wake, nuclei content of the fluid and propeller boundary layer were applied. The condition of the propeller boundary layer was found to have a major effect in this case and application of roughness at the leading edge could remove the differences between model and prototype.
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/issn/0020868X
- Paper is Publication No. 587 of the Netherlands Ship Model Basin.
International Periodical Press193 Heemraadssingel
- Kuiper, G
- Publication Date: 1978-4
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 10 p.
- International Shipbuilding Progress
- Volume: 25
- Issue Number: 284
- Publisher: IOS Press
- ISSN: 0020-868X
- Serial URL: http://www.iospress.nl/journal/international-shipbuilding-progress/
- TRT Terms: Boundary layer flow; Cavitation (Mechanics); Cavitation erosion; Ducted propellers; Mechanical loads; Propellers; Reynolds number
- Uncontrolled Terms: Scale effect
- Old TRIS Terms: Cavitating propellers; Model testing; Propeller loading
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00179435
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Shipbuilding Progress
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 19 1978 12:00AM