STUDY ON THE FATIGUE STRENGTH OF LOCAL PARTS OF SHIP STRUCTURES. 1ST REPORT-STRENGTH OF SIDE FRAME AND STIFFENER SNIP ENDS
Existing total systems for the strength analysis of ship structures provide an analysis of the primary members, but further detailed information is required on the fatigue strength of local structural parts such as welded joints at the ends of, or between, members, where stress concentrations are high and fatigue cracks may occur. At present, the best way of estimating the fatigue strength of local structures is to perform a fatigue test suitable for each pattern of local structure. In the present Report, the Authors (of Ishikawajima-Harima H.I.) give a detailed account of a model investigation into the fatigue strength of several types of the lower ends of side frames and the snaped ends of stiffeners, as used in the structure of multi-purpose cargo-ships. Static stress measurements, finite-element analyses, and constant-load fatigue tests were carried out, and the results are presented and discussed. A procedure for calculating the cumulative fatigue damage at the side-frame lower ends of an actual ship is also discussed. A number of conclusions are drawn, and it is mentioned that the S/N diagrams obtained in the study are available for assessing the fatigue strength of similar local structures. Order from: BSRA as No. 48,296.
- For the 2nd Report on this study, see BSRA No. 47,679 (MRIS No. 173660).
Japan Association for Technical Information4-7-107, Yamazaki-cho, Machida City
Tokyo 194-01, Japan
- NAGANO, T
- Nitta, T
- Yashima, H
- Publication Date: 1977
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 12 p.
- Japan Shipbuilding and Marine Engineering
- Volume: 11
- Issue Number: 3
- Publisher: Japan Association for Technical Information
- TRT Terms: Defects; Fatigue (Mechanics); Fatigue strength; Fatigue tests; Finite element method; Frames; Loads; Ship structural components; Strength of materials; Structural analysis; Structural mechanics; Structures
- Uncontrolled Terms: Structural damage
- Old TRIS Terms: Frame stiffeners; Strength analysis
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Marine Transportation; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00179208
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: British Ship Research Association
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 19 1978 12:00AM