VOLKSWAGEN'S PASSIVE SEAT BELT/KNEE BOLSTER RESISTRAINT, VWRA--A PRELIMINARY FIELD PERFORMANCE EVALUATION--PROGRESS REPORT
Dynamic sled and full-scale barrier crash testing with instrumented surrogates using the VWRA are presented. The primary portion of the paper deals with collected and calculated data from VW's field investigations which have been in progress over the last two years. Parameters measured and presented are vehicle repair costs, VDI, EBV (equivalent barrier velocity), OIS/AIS, occupant contact points, and some collision data involving NHTSA-supplied crash recorders. No fatalities, AIS 5 or AIS 4 injuries have been discovered or documented at the time of this writing. Sources at the NHTSA (the Fatal Accident Reporting System-FARS) have also been searched without the identification of a front seat fatality with the torso belt in position.
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/issn/01487191
- This paper was presented at the SAE Meeting, Detroit, Michigan, February 27-March 3, 1978.
Warrendale, PA United States 15096
- MILLER, S R
- Seiffert, U W
- STATES, J D
- Publication Date: 1978-3
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 16 p.
- SAE Technical Paper Series
- Publisher: Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE)
- ISSN: 0148-7191
- TRT Terms: Automobiles; Barriers (Roads); Crash reports; Field tests; Foreign automobiles; Manual safety belts; Passive restraint systems; Performance; Seat belts; Traffic crashes; Velocity
- Uncontrolled Terms: Barriers; Field performance
- Old TRIS Terms: Foreign vehicles
- Subject Areas: Highways; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00178852
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Report/Paper Numbers: SAE 780436 Preprint, HS-025 492U
- Files: HSL, TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 27 1985 12:00AM