FIRST SERIES-BUILT 50 KV LOCOS DELIVERED
South African Railways is receiving its 25 electric locomotives for operation of the 50-kV 50 Hz Sishen-Saldanha iron ore line recently built. These Class 9E units will be operated in multiples of three for handling 202-car trains with a gross trailing weight of 20,200 tons. The full-width carbody is reduced to about half its full height to provide clearance for the pantograph and other roof-mounted equipment under the high-voltage a-c catenary. Details of trucks, roof equipment, electrical equipment, control and multiple-unit circuits and braking system are given.
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/issn/03735346
IPC Transport Press, LimitedDorset House, Stamford Street
London SE1 9LU, England
- Publication Date: 1978-5
- Features: Figures; Photos;
- Pagination: 4 p.
- TRT Terms: Brakes; Control systems; Dynamic braking; Electric locomotives; Electric power conditioning; Locomotives; Multiple unit locomotives; Pantographs; Railroad electrification; Rectifiers; Thyristors; Unit trains; Vehicle design
- Old TRIS Terms: Braking systems; Locomotive design
- Subject Areas: Design; Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00178545
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 19 1978 12:00AM