OVERVIEW OF AIRFIELD PAVEMENT DESIGN
Airfield pavement systems should be considered within a framework which includes maintenance and rehabilitation as well as initial design for some prescribed time period. Portions of this management system will be briefly discussed in this paper. While there are no workable systems which completely describe the airfield pavement management process, there are a number of subsystems which when used in conjunction with one another do provide the engineer concerned with design and rehabilitation a framework within which to make reasonable decisions. It is these subsystems which will be addressed herein. In this overview of pavement design and rehabilitation an attempt has been made to summarize representative existing methodology and the results of recent research which is considered implementable and which permits expansion of the scope design and rehabilitation. The recent research when used in conjunction with existing methodology permits expansion of the scope of design and rehabilitation, e.g., insuring more effective use of marginal materials, for large or unusual projects, or to ascertain the influence of the introduction of different mixes of aircraft.
- ASCE, Air Transportation Division Special Conference: Inst Air Transp Conference Proceeding, Washington, D.C., April 4-6, 1977.
New York, NY USA 10017-2398
- Monismith, C L
- Publication Date: 1977
- Features: References;
- Pagination: p. 256-324
- TRT Terms: Airport runways; Design; Driver rehabilitation; Highway engineering; Maintenance; Management; Pavement design
- Uncontrolled Terms: Rehabilitation
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Aviation; Design; Highways; Maintenance and Preservation; Pavements; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00178464
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 19 1978 12:00AM