PROPULSION TESTS WITH PUSHED BARGE-TRAINS IN LIMITED WATER-DEPTH
In extension of the systematic model tests on barge formation (without the tug) previously reported, the VBD is carrying out a series of systematic propulsion tests, with models, to obtain data relating to various types of formation, water-depths, and barge-draughts. These data should facilitate the calculation of power requirements and provide information for operational economics. The first of these additional tests, again with 1:16 scale models, were made at one water-depth (representing about 5 m full-scale) and four different draughts (0.74 to 3.8 m full-scale) with seven different rigidly-coupled formations of Europa II barges pushed by a twin- or triple-screw Rhein tug. The barges numbered between one and six, and were one, two, or three abreast; the width of the waterway was practically unlimited. Open-water tests on the propellers were also carried out. The article, which includes lists of the main particulars of these barges and tugs, together with lines plans, gives an account of the tests and discusses the results, which are presented in curves showing delivered hp, rpm, trim, and parallel sinkage against the speed of the formation, and in curves of wake fraction (torque identity) against formation speed for the ducted propellers of the twin-screw and triple-screw tugs. A recommendation is that very wide or very large barge-formations should be pushed by a triple-screw tug. Order from: BSRA as No. 48,333.
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/issn/0036603X
- This is Publication NO. 173 of the VBD, the Duisburg experimental establishment for inland-waterways craft.
Seehafen-Verlag Erik BlumenfeldCelsiusweg 15, Postfach 1347
2000 Hamburg 50, Germany
- Binek, H
- Muller, E
- Publication Date: 1978-1
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 6 p.
- Schiff und Hafen
- Volume: 30
- ISSN: 0036-603X
- TRT Terms: Barge trains; Ducted propellers; Energy consumption; Propellers; Propulsion; Screw propellers; Tests; Towboats; Tugboats
- Uncontrolled Terms: Sinkage
- Old TRIS Terms: Model testing; Power requirement; Propulsion tests; Towboat propulsion; Tug propulsion; Twin screws; Water depth effects
- Subject Areas: Energy; Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00178316
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: British Ship Research Association
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 19 1978 12:00AM