RESEARCH REQUIREMENTS SURVEY OF THE RAPID RAIL INDUSTRY
The major problems existing today in the rapid transit industry have been assessed by interviewing all properties in the United States and Canada and surveying major suppliers of transit equipment. The results of these surveys have been used to identify fruitful research areas for the Urban Mass Transportation Administration's rapid rail research program. Emphasis is upon the Pueblo, Colorado test site where UMTA will build a ten mile test track and, in conjunction with the Federal Railroad Administration, the first wheel-rail dynamics laboratory in this country. The report includes complete survey results and rapid rail research recommendations. It also discusses the impact of present and planned UMTA research and development programs upon these problems.
MITRE CorporationBedford, MA USA
- McGean, T J
- Publication Date: 1971-6
- Pagination: 99 p.
- TRT Terms: Data collection; Derailments; Dynamics; Fare collection; Loss and damage; Maintenance; Noise; Problem solving; Quality control; Rail (Railroads); Rapid transit; Recommendations; Reliability; Safety engineering; Test tracks; Train track dynamics; Urban transportation; Vandalism; Wheels
- Geographic Terms: Canada; United States
- Old TRIS Terms: Noise sound; Rapid transit railways
- Subject Areas: Environment; Maintenance and Preservation; Operations and Traffic Management; Passenger Transportation; Railroads; Research; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00039823
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 9 1973 12:00AM