COST AND UTILIZATION CONTROL OF FREIGHT CAR EQUIPMENT PROVISION
The report reviews the freight car utilization problem and discusses the impact of the rate of utilization on freight car costs and profits. Improved utilization is suggested by maintaining a detailed cost accounting system which could associate freight car costs with functional and geographic responsibility centers. The report discusses deficiencies in existing railroad cost accounting systems, and outlines a proposed system which could associate freight car costs with functional and geographic responsibility centers. Adoption of such an accounting system is recommended in the report.
Whitten (Herbert O) and AssociatesAnnandale, VA USA
- Publication Date: 1971-3-15
- Pagination: 80p* p.
- TRT Terms: Car utilization (Railroads); Cost engineering; Freight cars; Freight transportation; Improvements; Management; Planning; Quality control; Railroad transportation; Recommendations; Shortages; Statistics; Supply; Utilization
- Old TRIS Terms: Cargo transportation; Management planning; Supply economics
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Data and Information Technology; Freight Transportation; Planning and Forecasting; Railroads; Research;
- Accession Number: 00039821
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FR-10174
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 9 1973 12:00AM