SEA TRANSPORT OF ROLL-ON/ROLL-OFF CARGOES
The Author, of Astilleros Espanoles S.A. (AESA), reviews the design and equipment of roll-on/roll-off ships, with particular reference to his company's designs, under the headings: A. History. Ro/Ro Ships in the North Sea--Intercontinental Ro/Ro Ships. B. Design Philosophy of the Roll-On/Roll-Off Ship. C. Development of AEAS's Ro/Ro Designs. Range of Tonnage Covered--Hull Forms--Hull Structure and Deck Loadings--Free Height between Decks--Double Hull--Ramps and Lifts--Vehicle Ways, Layout of containers, and Lashings--Engine-Room Layout--Fire-Protection Systems--Stability and Loading Conditons--Ro/Ro Prototypes Developed by ASEA. D. Ro/Lo Ships. Principal particulars and general-arrangement drawings are included (under Section C) of designs developed by AESA for six twin-screw roll-on/roll-off ships covering a deadweight range from 9,000 to 30,000 tonnes, together with engine-room plans for a 12,000-dwt ship in this range. Section D gives a brief description, with general-arrangement drawings of a design for a 16,000-dwt roll-on/roll-off ship-type developed by the company and named the "Roloflex".
- This paper was presented at the Fifth Congress of the Instituto Panamericano de Ingenieria Naval, Caracas, September/October 1977.
Asociacion de Ingenieros NavalesApdo Correos 457
- Rubio, JLM
- Publication Date: 1977-11
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 16 p.
- INGENIERIA NAVAL
- Volume: 45
- TRT Terms: Cargo handling; Cargo handling equipment; Heavy lift vessels; Hulls; Lashing; Lifting equipment; Propulsion; Ramps; Roll on roll off ships; Ships; Vehicle components; Vehicle design
- Uncontrolled Terms: Ship design
- Old TRIS Terms: Container lashing; General arrangement plans; Heavy lifts; Lift on/lift off; Ship descriptions (Ro/ro); Ship equipment; Twin screws
- Subject Areas: Design; Freight Transportation; Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00178189
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: British Ship Research Association
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 19 1978 12:00AM