IN SITU STRENGTH AND TOTAL STRESS ANALYSIS FOR AN EMBANKMENT ON A SOFT FOUNDATION
This paper presents a case history of general failure of a road embankment on soft ground in the central part of Thailand, which was used to pre-compress the saturated subsoil and where several failures occurred shortly after the final lift of the embankment. The effects of traffic loading and fluctuations of water level are considered in the analysis. The theoretical factors of safety for the failures are uniformly high unless the traffic loading is taken into account, when the values reduce to about unity.
- Proceedings of International Symposium on Soft Clay, Geotechnical Aspects of Soft Clays, Bangkok, Thailand, July 5-6, 1977.
Asian Institute of TechnologyP.O. Box 2754
- POOPATH, V
- Publication Date: 1977
- Pagination: p. 547-557
- TRT Terms: Analysis; Embankment foundations; Embankments; Failure; Mechanical properties; Roads; Soft soils; Soil mechanics; Soils; Stresses; Subsoil; Traffic loads; Water table
- Old TRIS Terms: In situ stresses; Rhyolite
- Subject Areas: Freight Transportation; Geotechnology; Highways;
- Accession Number: 00178094
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 12 1978 12:00AM