ECONOMIC EVALUATION OF ICE AND FROST ON BRIDGE DECKS
The objective of this research was to develop a comprehensive cost-benefit methodology, complete with realistic parameter values, to be used by highway administrators to determine added costs justified to prevent or remedy ice or frost on bridge decks, with emphasis on localized icing. As a result of the collection of cost data on current techniques and of a sampling of bridge accident and localized bridge icing frequency and duration data, it was possible to develop a technique for predicting accident frequencies, given various characteristics of a bridge (e.g. average daily traffic, length, width, location, divided versus undivided highway, concrete versus other material), and to develop a cost-benefit methodology comparing accident costs incurred without a countermeasure system minus with those incurred with a countermeasure system. Numerical examples were then calculatd using data from selected regions for a variety of countermeasures. It was concluded that the methodology is comprehensive in scope and flexible enough for a variety of situations and countermeasure systems and can be used by anyone willing to use the data collection procedures described in the study in order to develop the more precise (with regard to location and road surface conditions) road accident data base that would be required.
- Digital Copy:
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/issn/00775614
- Sponored by American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officals in cooperation with DOT, Federal Highway Administration.
Washington, DC United States 20001
- Blackburn, R R
- Glennon, J C
- Glautz, W D
- St Johns, A D
- Publication Date: 1978
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 73 p.
- NCHRP Report
- Issue Number: 182
- Publisher: Transportation Research Board
- ISSN: 0077-5614
- TRT Terms: Benefit cost analysis; Bridge decks; Crash rates; Data collection; Deicing; Economic conditions; Economic impacts; Forecasting; Highway bridges; Ice prevention; Sampling; Snow and ice control
- Old TRIS Terms: Frost control
- Subject Areas: Economics; Highways; Maintenance and Preservation; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00177279
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS, TRB, ATRI
- Created Date: Jun 28 1978 12:00AM