RETROFITTING PROCEDURES FOR FATIGUE-DAMAGED FULL-SCALE WELDED BRIDGE BEAMS
Bridge beams on the east and westbound bridges of span No. 1 at Yellow Mill Pond in Bridgeport, Connecticut, were inspected for fatigue cracking and then retrofitted, using either the peening or the gas tungsten arc remelting procedures. The retrofitted beams were then subjected to fatigue strength tests. The results indicated that both procedures could be used to successfully extend the fatigue life and prevent further crack growth. Only details with initial crack depths greater than 1/8 inch did not achieve the desired life increments. For details with very small or no visible crack, the peening procedure appears to provide a reliable and the most economical means of retrofitting fatigue damage; for details with slightly larger cracks (up to 3/16 inch deep) the gas tungsten arc remelt process is preferred.
- Record URL:
- Distribution, posting, or copying of this PDF is strictly prohibited without written permission of the Transportation Research Board of the National Academy of Sciences. Unless otherwise indicated, all materials in this PDF are copyrighted by the National Academy of Sciences. Copyright © National Academy of Sciences. All rights reserved.
Washington, DC United States 20001
- Fisher, J W
- Publication Date: 1978-4
- Media Type: Digital/other
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 7 p.
- NCHRP Research Results Digest
- Issue Number: 101
- Publisher: Transportation Research Board
Open Access (libre)
- TRT Terms: Beams; Bridge construction; Bridge foundations; Bridges; Construction; Cracking; Electric arc welding; Failure; Fatigue (Mechanics); Fatigue tests; Fracture mechanics; Inspection; Metal bridges; Nondestructive tests; Peening; Repairing; Retrofitting; Steel bridges; Tungsten; Weldments; Welds
- Uncontrolled Terms: Fatigue life
- Old TRIS Terms: Bridge repairs; Welded beams
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Construction; Highways; Maintenance and Preservation;
- Accession Number: 00177108
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS, TRB
- Created Date: Jun 28 1978 12:00AM