PASSENGER TRANSPORTATION IN NORTH AMERICA. AIR VERSUS GROUND

The author presents a review of the usage of different travel modes in North America supported by statistical evidence from the years 1970 to 1974. Rail, road and air travel are analyzed in turn and comparisons made with equivalent systems in Europe. 90 per cent of passenger-kilometres are accounted for by the car and the remaining 10% split between air, rail and bus, is dominated by air. The bus is identified as having the greatest potential as yet unrealized. STOL is briefly mentioned and suggestions made for possible new modes of travel and intermodal systems. This paper was presented to the 15th anglo-american aeronautical conference in London, June 1977 (paper no 512/18).

  • Availability:
  • Corporate Authors:

    Royal Aeronautical Society

    4 Hamilton Place
    London S1V 0BQ,   England 
  • Authors:
    • Hanchet, WHD
  • Publication Date: 1978-1

Media Info

  • Features: Figures;
  • Pagination: p. 33-37
  • Serial:
    • Aeronautical Journal
    • Volume: 82
    • Issue Number: 805
    • Publisher: Royal Aeronautical Society
    • ISSN: 0001-9240

Subject/Index Terms

Filing Info

  • Accession Number: 00176908
  • Record Type: Publication
  • Source Agency: Transport and Road Research Laboratory (TRRL)
  • Report/Paper Numbers: Analytic
  • Files: ITRD, TRIS
  • Created Date: Jun 14 1978 12:00AM