SURVEY OF CAST STEEL TRUCK SIDE FRAME AND TRUCK BOLSTER REMOVALS BY MEMBER RAILROADS AND PRIVATE CAR OWNERS
A survey was made of cast steel track side frames and truck bolsters removed from service for reasons other than normal wear. Critical areas for side frames were compression and tension members close to journal boxes. Critical areas for track bolsters were in the center near the center bearing. The incidence of removal of these units increases with service life. Bolsters are removed 2.4 times more often than side frames. Changes in specifications should equalize this replacement rate.
- Docket No. CC-223.6.6.
Association of American Railroads50 F Street, NW
Washington, DC USA 20001-1564
- Publication Date: 1968-4
- Pagination: 7 p.
- TRT Terms: Bolsters; Journal boxes; Specifications; Technology; Trucks; Vehicle design; Vehicle maintenance; Wear
- Geographic Terms: United States
- Subject Areas: Design; Maintenance and Preservation; Motor Carriers; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00039536
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: MR-446A Tech Rpt
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jan 5 1973 12:00AM