SUMMARY OF RAILROAD-HIGHWAY GRADE CROSSING RESEARCH ACTIVITY
This circular presents information on research underway, recently completed research and planned research. Reports on completed research projects are available from the National Technical Information Service (NTIS) and include among others, studies on the effectiveness of automatic protection at grade crossings, driver reaction to warning devices, state programs, in-vehicle warning systems, railroad-highway vehicular movement warning devices, enhancement of visual conspicuity of trains, stand-by power systems, etc. Research is currently underway in the areas of stop signs, active warning devices, grade crossing illumination, inventory/accident data analysis, institutional constraints, locomotive conspicuity, and the effectiveness of improvements. Research is planned on constant warning time devices, off-track train detection, and active advance warning signals.
- Record URL:
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/issn/00978515
- Distribution, posting, or copying of this PDF is strictly prohibited without written permission of the Transportation Research Board of the National Academy of Sciences. Unless otherwise indicated, all materials in this PDF are copyrighted by the National Academy of Sciences. Copyright © National Academy of Sciences. All rights reserved.
Washington, DC United States 20001
- Publication Date: 1978-1
- Media Type: Digital/other
- Pagination: 4 p.
- Transportation Research Circular
- Issue Number: 190
- Publisher: Transportation Research Board
- ISSN: 0097-8515
- TRT Terms: Automation; Bibliographies; Crash causes; Crash investigation; Development; Drivers; Grade crossing protection systems; Human factors; Lighting; Railroad grade crossings; Reaction time; Research; Safety; State government; Stop signs; Vehicles; Visibility; Warning devices; Warning systems
- Uncontrolled Terms: Driver reaction; Research and development
- Old TRIS Terms: Grade crossing protection
- Subject Areas: Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Railroads; Research; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00172428
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS, TRB
- Created Date: Apr 12 1978 12:00AM