A GUIDANCE NOTE ON ULTRASONIC TESTING OF HULL BUTT-WELDS
Guidance Note NI 165 BM.2, entitled "Ultrasonic Testing of Hull Butt-Welds" and published in English and in French, is now available from Bureau Veritas. This new Note describes the procedures to be followed by the shipyard inspectors and the Society's surveyors for the ultrasonic testing of these welds, and specifies, in particular, procedures for the approval of equipment and the qualification of the operators. It also specifies procedures for adjusting and calibrating the equipment, and for carrying out the tests and assessing the results; diagrams showing acceptability criteria are included. The article gives some further information on this Guidance Note and mentions that, with the increased length of hull butt-welds to be inspected and from the viewpoint of time-saving and the safety of personnel, it is in the interests of shipyards to replace radiographic testing of certain of these welds by ultrasonic testing (this replacement has for some time been accepted in the Rules). A Guidance Note on radiographic inspection of hull butt-welds is under preparation. Order from: BSRA as No. 45,507.
- This is a Special English Issue.
Bureau VeritasOne Western Union International Plaza
New York, NY USA 10004
- Publication Date: 1977-10
- Pagination: 1 p.
- Bulletin Technique du Bureau Veritas
- Publisher: Bureau Veritas
- TRT Terms: Butt welds; Hulls; Inspection; Quality control; Radiography; Testing; Ultrasonic tests; Welds
- Old TRIS Terms: Hull inspection; Hull testing; Weld inspection
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00170906
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: British Ship Research Association
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 29 1978 12:00AM