IMPROVING INTERMODAL TRANSPORTATION IN NEW ENGLAND--VOLUME I, NEW ENGLAND FREIGHT TRAFFIC FLOWS; VOLUME II, THE STATUS OF INTERMODAL FREIGHT TRANSPORT IN NEW ENGLAND; VOLUME III, THE COMPETITION FOR NEW ENGLAND FREIGHT TRAFFIC; VOLUME IV, THE SELKIRK HURDLE
These reports present an overview of the intermodal movement of freight within New England and between New England and the rest of the United States and overseas. The purpose of the study is to make recommendations to the Commission and to the New England states regarding specific activities which they might perform to improve intermodal transportation. Volume I, New England Freight Traffic Flows, presents the recommendations that grew out of the study. A data base describing the present state of goods movement by rail and truck is also included. Volume II, The Status of Intermodal Freight Transport in New England, describes intermodal operations of the various types and modes in New England. It develops a picture of the operations, their market and institutional characteristics, and describes the evolution the services under went to arrive at this present status. Volume III, The Competition for New England Freight Traffic, concentrates on the analysis of the top land modes, highway and rail, in many operating configurations of equipment, services, and routings. Volume IV, The Selkirk Hurdle, discusses improvements in the rail car load modes and quantifies the service and cost levels of the land-based modes. An examination of the Selkirk Hurdle, its evolution, impacts, and alternatives are also presented.
New England Regional Commission55 Court
Boston, MA United States 02108
- Publication Date: 1976-6
- Features: Appendices; Figures;
- Pagination: v.p.
- TRT Terms: Commodities; Competition; Economics; Forecasting; Freight traffic; Freight transportation; Highway transportation; Intermodal transportation; Level of service; Motor carriers; Origin and destination; Piggyback transportation; Railroad transportation; Rates; Regional planning; Statistics; Traffic forecasting; Transportation; Transportation modes; Trucks
- Identifier Terms: Conrail
- Geographic Terms: New England; Northeastern United States
- Old TRIS Terms: Commodity statistics
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Economics; Society; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00179716
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: Tech Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 12 1978 12:00AM