EVALUATION OF CUSHIONED UNDERFRAMES
This report is an evaluation of cushioned underframes, which indicates that protection of commodities shipped is related not only to draft gear but to loading methods and packaging. Impact tests used include tests of special cushioning devices with travel to 24 inches. As a result, the sliding sill cushioning device provided most protection to lading, the hydraulic draft gear provided most protection to the car underframe.
Chicago, IL USA 60616
- Publication Date: 1963-8
- Pagination: 3 p.
- TRT Terms: Collisions; Commodities; Couplers; Cushioning materials; Freight transportation; Gears; Impact loads; Loss and damage; Technology; Vehicle dynamics
- Uncontrolled Terms: Draft gears
- Geographic Terms: United States
- Old TRIS Terms: Car impact; Cushioning; Impact loading; Lading damage index
- Subject Areas: Freight Transportation; Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00039442
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: AAR-437 Tech Rpt
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 8 1994 12:00AM