1977 PTRC SUMMER ANNUAL MEETING CONFERENCE PAPERS
Low cost rural roads, otherwise known as feeder roads or rural access roads, have assumed an increasing importance, as the World Bank and national road planners have shifted their lending and investment policies to emphasize projects which directly promote equitable social and economic development. An appropriate analyses for rural roads should focus directly on the basic economic changes in the area of influence attributed to road improvements and to complimentary investments. It is noted that careful consideration of labor-intensive civil works in labor abundant economies should be encouraged & test applications are presently taking place among others in feeder road projects in Benin and Ghana. The Bank is also cooperating in the production of two handbooks for the labor-intensive construction of civil works. The Bank is initiating a study of alternative design and maintenance strategies for low volume roads and major highways. In order to improve the transport alternatives facing farmers living under a wide array of conditions, the Bank is studying a variety of equipment types ranging from improved wheelbarrows to motorized vehicles. Emphasis is aimed at assisting governments in establishing maintenance targets which are well balanced in their emphasis on rural-versus main roads, in building up adequate maintenance organizations and in training maintenance personnel.
- PTRC Summer Annual Meeting, University of Warwick, England, June 27-30, 1977.
Planning and Transport Res and Computation Co Ltd109 Bedford Chambers, 4 King Street
- Publication Date: 1978-2-17
- Features: Figures;
- Pagination: v.p.
- TRT Terms: Construction management; Developing countries; Economics; Investments; Low volume roads; Maintenance; Personnel; Rural areas; Socioeconomic factors; Transportation; Transportation planning
- Uncontrolled Terms: Feeders
- Old TRIS Terms: Construction operations
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Economics; Maintenance and Preservation; Society; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00179366
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: Proceeding
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 14 1978 12:00AM