INVESTIGATION OF AUTOMOBILE CARRIER CARS
The report is concerned with the cause of progressives or fatigue failures in deck beams and posts of automobile carrier cars. Impact tests of cars were conducted to determine rack action present. Results are that stresses in decks and posts during loading were small compared to stresses present when cars were rolling. Stresses changed from tension to compression as the rack rolled sideways, as a result the racks acted as rigid frames to resist rolling induced forces.
Chicago, IL USA 60616
- Publication Date: 1964-5
- Pagination: 2 p.
- TRT Terms: Automobile rack cars; Collisions; Deformation curve; Freight cars; Railroad cars; Rocking; Stresses; Technology; Tension; Vehicle dynamics
- Uncontrolled Terms: Tensile stress
- Geographic Terms: United States
- Old TRIS Terms: Car impact; Car rocking
- Subject Areas: Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00039434
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: AAR-RD3 Tech Rpt
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 8 1994 12:00AM