STANDARD CODES FOR NAMED POPULATED PLACES AND RELATED ENTITIES OF THE STATES OF THE UNITED STATES
The Standard Codes for Named Populated Places and Related Entities of the states of the United States include codes for named populated cities, towns, villages, and similar communities, whether or not incorporated, and several categories of named entities that are similar to these in one or more important respects. In addition to incorporated and unincorporated named populated cities, towns, and villages, this standard provides codes for scattered rural communities; important military and naval installations; townships in the states where such units have governmental powers; Indian reservations, national and state parks, named places that form parts of other places as defined; and named places with no permanent residents, but important for transportation, industrial, or commercial purposes, such as unpopulated railroad points, airports, and shopping centers. The standard code for places is seven characters in length, the first two characters of which identify the state (using the standard state code or abbreviation). The last five numeric characters identify the place within the state and provide an alphabetic ordering of the place names. In addition to the place name and its standard code, the list also provides the name and standard code for the county (or counties) in which the place is located, the postal ZIP code of the servicing post office (or offices), cross-references to former or alternative names, an inclusion code, a class designator code, and a cross-reference to the Worldwide Geographic Location Code issued by the Office of Finance of the General Services Administration.
- Source tape is in ASCII character set. Character set restricts preparation to 9 track one-half inch tape only. Identify recording mode by specifying density only. Call NTIS Computer Products, if you have questions. Price includes User's Guide, PB-274 151.
National Bureau of StandardsOffice of ADP Standards Management
Washington, DC United States 20234
- McEwen, H E
- White, H S
- Publication Date: 1977-1-1
- Pagination: n.p.
- TRT Terms: Airports; Coding systems; Communities; Counties; Data files; Geography; Information processing; Location; Magnetic tapes; Military facilities; Military transportation; Modems; Origin and destination; Parks; Rural areas; Shopping centers; States; Statistical analysis; Urban areas
- Uncontrolled Terms: Data set
- Old TRIS Terms: Coding; Standard point location code
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Data and Information Technology; Geotechnology; Railroads; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00174618
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: NBS/DF-77/009b Data File
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 14 1978 12:00AM