STANDARD CODES FOR NAMED POPULATED PLACES AND RELATED ENTITIES OF THE STATES OF THE UNITED STATES (IN MICROFICHE)
Included are standard codes for named populated cities, towns, villages, whether incorporated or unincorporated, important military and naval installations, townships, Indian reservations, named places that form parts of other places, places important for transportation, industrial, or commercial purposes, i.e., unpopulated railroad points, airports, and shopping centers. The standard code is seven characters in length, the first two of which identify the State. The last five numeric characters identify the place within the State and provide an alphabetic ordering of the place names. In addition to the place name and its code, the list also provides the name and code for the county (or counties) in which the place is located, the ZIP Code of the servicing post office (or offices) cross-references to former or alternate names, an inclusion code, a class designator code, and a cross-reference to the Worldwide Geographic Location Code issued by the General Services Administration.
- For data file on magnetic tape, see PB-274150. Material available in 35 sheets. Microfiche is at 48X reduction. Price includes paper copy of the 'User Information for Standard Place Code Data File'.
National Bureau of StandardsOffice of ADP Standards Management
Washington, DC United States 20234
- McEwen, H E
- Publication Date: 1977-11
- TRT Terms: Airports; Coding systems; Communities; Counties; Data processing equipment; Data storage; Geography; Information processing; Microforms; Military facilities; Origin and destination; Parks; Rural areas; Shopping centers; States; Statistical analysis; Urban areas
- Old TRIS Terms: Coding; Microfiche; Microfilm; Standard point location code
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Data and Information Technology; Geotechnology; Railroads; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00174616
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: NBS-DF-77/009a Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 14 1978 12:00AM