SURVEY OF CAST STEEL TRUCK SIDE FRAME AND TRUCK BOLSTER REMOVALS BY MEMBER RAILROADS AND PRIVATE CAR OWNERS
The critical areas for defects on truck side frames removed from service were the compression and tension members close to the journal boxes. The critical area for defects on truck bolster removed from service was in the center, especially in and adjacent to the center bearing. The percent of removal for bolsters is 2.4 times greater than for side frames. Dynamic test requirements for side frames should be made more severe and bolster dynamic tests should be formulated. The equipment to handle dynamic investigations of side frames and bolsters at the AAR Research Center has been purchased and is being installed.
Chicago, IL USA 60616
- Publication Date: 1967-12
- Pagination: 2 p.
- TRT Terms: Bolsters; Equipment tests; Journal boxes; Motor vehicle bodies; Specifications; Technology; Trucks; Vehicle design
- Geographic Terms: United States
- Old TRIS Terms: Car body; Test equipment
- Subject Areas: Design; Motor Carriers; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00039432
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: MR-446 Tech Rpt
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jan 5 1973 12:00AM