CN EMPTY FLOW MODEL
Given a forecast of loaded car movements for some future year, this computer program predicts the induced empty car traffic for the many origin/destination pairs of the CN network. In this gravity model, the number of empty trips between an origin and a destination is assumed to be proportional to the cost on arcs, the production at origins, and the attraction at destinations. The Furness procedure is used as a basic tool for the calibration and the prediction phases.
- Direct requests to Manager, Operational Research, Canadian National Railways.
Canadian National Railways935 la Gauchetiere Street, West
Montreal, Quebec H3C 3N4, Canada
- Publication Date: 1978-3-17
- Pagination: n.p.
- TRT Terms: Car utilization (Railroads); Computer programs; Network analysis (Planning); Operations; Origin and destination; Planning; Scheduling
- Old TRIS Terms: Empty cars; Operations planning
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Freight Transportation; Planning and Forecasting; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00174214
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Canadian National Railways
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 18 1978 12:00AM