LAND LEVEL SUBMARINE CONSTRUCTION FACILITY
Shipbuilding facilities fall into three general categories: inclined ways, building basins, and land level facilities. This paper describes a new facility at the Electric Boat Division of General Dynamics, which is in the latter category. This paper describes a new facility at the Electric Boat Division of General Dynamics, which is in the latter category. This facility is unique in that the ship is lowered from land level on a pontoon in a graving dock. The dock and pontoon are then reflooded to float the ship.
- Paper presented at the Spring Meeting/STAR Symposium, New London, Connecticut, April 26-29, 1978. Available only in bound proceedings.
Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers601 Pavonia Avenue
Jersey City, NJ USA 07306-2907
- Wood, F W
- Salzer, J R
- Publication Date: 1978
- Pagination: n.p.
- TRT Terms: Drydocks; Launching; Management; Shipbuilding; Shipyards; Submarines
- Old TRIS Terms: Drydock facilities; Shipyard management
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00173972
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers
- Report/Paper Numbers: No. 14
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 3 1978 12:00AM