DESIGN OF A GENERIC CONTROL SYSTEM FOR DETERMINISTICALLY CONTROLLED GROUND TRANSPORTATION SYSTEMS. VOLUME III. APPENDIXES
A preliminary design of a controls system applicable to a wide range of automated ground transportation systems is specified and discussed. The design covers the functions of safety assurance, navigation, space allocation and communications. A four-level hierarchy control system is described which includes hardware and software for the network control center, local controllers, a distributed control and communications line for guidway installation, and vehicle control equipment. The three volume report discusses in detail the rationales involved in the major tradeoff decisions. Application notes are furnished. Discussions of reliability, maintainability and availability appear as well as those relating to the relative safety and capacity of a deterministically controlled system. Theoretical analyses relating to the vehicle-to-ground communication link are furnished; also the results of laboratory experimentation for the link are summarized. A description of basic Synchronous Longitudinal Guidance (SLG) techniques is provided.
- See also Volume 2, PB-210869.
TRW Systems GroupWashington Operations
McLean, VA United States 22101
- Publication Date: 1972-2-29
- Pagination: 379 p.
- Volume: 3
- TRT Terms: Adaptive control; Automatic control; Blocking; Centralized traffic control; Communications; Computer programming; Control systems; Electric controllers; Ground vehicles; Guideways; Headways; Highway transportation; Intelligent transportation systems; Maintainability; Networks; Public transit; Reliability; Reviews; Safety; Scheduling; Telecommunications
- Uncontrolled Terms: Space allocation
- Old TRIS Terms: Adoptive systems; Advanced systems; Centralized control
- Subject Areas: Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Public Transportation; Railroads; Safety and Human Factors; Terminals and Facilities; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00039372
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: 06818-W043-RO-00 Final Rpt
- Contract Numbers: DOT-C-353-66
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 9 1973 12:00AM