OTTAWA PLANS PROGRAM FOR HAZARDOUS SHIPMENTS
A major safety program to regulate the transportation of dangerous goods in Canada has been announced by transport minister Otto Lang. The program will produce compatible safety standards for transhipment of dangerous goods between air, surface and marine transport. The first step is a draft code produced by the Dangerous Goods Secretariat of Transport Canada, to be distributed soon for comment from industry and the provinces. Following consultation, the draft will form the basis for regulations under the Transportation of Dangerous Goods Act to be introduced in Parliament next session. The new Act will ensure that responsibility for the transportation of dangerous goods is shared by manufacturers of transport equipment and containers, producers, shippers and purchasers of dangerous goods, as will as carriers and operators of transportation facilities. The existing safety and inspection programs of the Canadian Air Transportation Administration, the Canadian Coast Guard and the Canadian Transport Commission will be maintained and their operational regulations periodically revised to ensure a smooth transition to a uniform code. As a first step in preparing the code, the Dangerous Goods Secretariat will be responsible for defining and listing dangerous goods, as well as their packaging, labeling and documentation and, in conjunction with other appropriate authorities, will organize training and public information programs.
Canadian National Railways935 la Gauchetiere Street, West
Montreal, Quebec H3C 3N4, Canada
- Publication Date: 1977-9
- CN "Movin"
- Publisher: Canadian National Railways
- TRT Terms: Hazardous materials; Information systems; Regulations; Safety; Standards; Transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Safety standards
- Old TRIS Terms: Hazardous materials information system; Hazardous materials transportation
- Subject Areas: Law; Safety and Human Factors; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00172698
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transport Development News
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 29 1978 12:00AM