SUGGESTED TEST PROCEDURE FOR ULTRASONIC DISAGGREGATION OF CLAY FORMING MATERIALS--ATTERBERG LIMITS
The procedures described are applicable to clay forming materials such as hardened clay soils, hard pan, and shales. It presents a method of preparing a sample of the material so that its index properties (plasticity and shrinkage) can be determined under the most critical conditions. The equipment consists of an altrasonic cleaning system, two 1000 ml. stainless steel breakers, two stirrers, 1/2 gpm. reciprocating pump, 1000 ml. conical flask, 12" x 8" plexiglass plate, rubber tubing, and 500 ml. beakers. Five steps are indicated which pertain to the sample preparation method for Atterberg limit test. The fourteen steps in the ultrasonic treatment are briefly described in this report.
- Prepared for Oklahoma Department of Highways and DOT, Federal Highway Administration.
University of Oklahoma, NormanResearch Institute
Norman, OK United States 73019
- Laquros, J G
- Publication Date: 1972-8
- Features: Figures;
- Pagination: 7 p.
- TRT Terms: Atterberg limits; Clay; Equipment; Plasticity; Pumps; Shale; Shrinkage; Ultrasonic tests
- Subject Areas: Geotechnology; Highways;
- Accession Number: 00179740
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 31 1978 12:00AM